A search is underway for a 52-year-old man taken by a crocodile in Kakadu National Park in the Northern Territory.
Police say the man was in a boat when he was attacked on a billabong at Cooinda on Saturday afternoon.
“Look we always hold out hope but obviously a crocodile attack is very serious and there are grave concerns,” Superintendent Bob Harrison told the ABC.
It’s believed the man’s wife, son and daughter-in-law were with him at the time.
“I believe the son was involved in the initial search for his father, which is obviously traumatising and anyone’s heart would go out to the family in that sort of incident,” Supt Harrison said.
Police and rangers are searching for the man and the crocodile.
“At this time we have eight people down there and we’ll be ramping that up if we don’t locate the gentleman during the night,” Supt Harrison said on Saturday.
NT Minister for Parks and Wildlife Bess Price told the NT News newspaper her thoughts were with the family and friends of the missing man.
In January a 12-year-old boy died after being attacked by a crocodile in the national park.
Human remains were found near where the boy had been swimming with friends in a billabong west of Jabiru.
A 15-year-old boy was also bitten but fought his way free during the attack.